Rain Gardens and Pollinator Gardens featuring Native Plants
FRWA works throughout the Farmington River Watershed to install rain gardens and pollinator gardens to reduce stormwater pollution. Check out our recent garden installations at Keney Park, Windsor; Page Park, Bristol; Rockwell Park, Bristol; Peoples State Forest, Barkhamsted; and Meadow Street, Winsted.
Environmental Reasons for Rain Gardens and Planting Native Plants
- Reduce the amount of pollutants that wash into lakes, streams, ponds and wetlands.
- Help sustain adequate stream flow during dry spells through infiltration and recharge.
- Enhance the beauty of your yard and the neighborhood.
- Help protect communities from flooding and drainage problems.
- Reduce the need for costly municipal stormwater treatment structures.
- Provide wildlife habitat.
How To Videos:
Rain Garden Maintenance
Digging your Rain Garden
Plant Selection and Layout
Rain Garden Placement