Regional Trails and Tourist Information
Farmington River Trail – Located for the most part along an abandoned railroad right of way and with numerous views of the Farmington River, this trail loops off of the Farmington Canal Heritage Greenway from Farmington to Simsbury. When complete, it will offer a 16-mile path for walking, biking, and other activities.
Farmington Canal Heritage Greenway – Running the length of the state from New Haven to Suffield, this trail follows the path of the 19th century Farmington Canal. Converted to rail use until 1982, the corridor was saved for public use by a coalition of citizens and converted to a recreation path.
For more information and maps of the greenways in our area, please visit the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection Greenways web site.
Connecticut Forest and Park Association – is the oldest private nonprofit environmental organization in Connecticut. Visit their website to find out information about their trails or to order their Connecticut Walk Book.
Farmington Valley Visitors Association – is a non-profit public/private partnership, formed in 1994 to promote the Farmington Valley as a destination for tourists. Get pertinent information related to Farmington Valley tourism.
Recreational Gear Sales in the Farmington River Watershed
(These listings are not sponsored or endorsed: Please support local businesses)
Canoes, Kayaks and Related Gear
Main Stream Canoe & Kayaks
(860) 693-6791, N. Hartford
Joe’s Bass Bait & Tackle
(860) 623-7980, Windsor Locks –FRWA Member Benefits!
Skipper’s Bait Shop
34 Collins Road, Bristol, 589-7547
Up Country Sport Fishing
(860) 379-1952, 352 Main St., New Hartford
Rome’s Sporting Goods
(860) 413-9445. 335 Salmon Brook St., Granby
Bike, Roller Blade, and Trail Gear
(860) 693-8891, 247 Albany Turnpike, Canton
(860) 584-8138, 384 Farmington Ave, Bristol
Bicycle Cellar and Repair Shop
(860) 658-1311, 532 Hopmeadow St., Simsbury
(860) 677-7010, 62 Farmington Ave, Farmington
(860) 747-2909, 49 West Main Street, Plainville
(860) 284-1166, 136 Simsbury Rd Avon
Sartorius Sports Ltd
(860) 676-8850, 175 W Main St, Avon
Valley Bicycle and Repair
(860) 653-6545, 10 Hartford Ave., Granby